Bhaja Pithe is a Bengali candy dish aka Pithe made with a filling of coconut and date palm jaggery. The stuffing is encased in a shell made from yellow break up lentils, rice flour, and Candy Potato. It’s then deep-fried and served throughout the winter months. The shell of the candy is gentle and crispy, whereas the filling is good and sticky, making it an ideal winter deal with.
Maa made Bhaja Pithe
Maa made Bhaja Pithe after ages throughout Poush Parbon and it was a second of pleasure for us. I had requested her to make it for us and was so glad that she obliged. I used to be additional cautious to seize all of the moments of her making it and he or she even requested me to seize the intricate particulars of the making of the Bengali Bhaja Puli. It’s customary to make Pithe Puli throughout Poush Parbon, nevertheless, this 12 months I used to be initially planning to skip it contemplating Baba’s well being situation. He was hospitalized for a very long time. It was fairly a troublesome two months for the complete household.
The previous three months had been extraordinarily difficult for our entire household. Nevertheless, I ultimately realized that we would have liked to convey a way of normalcy again into our lives. We would have liked it as a household to assist us deal with the tough state of affairs. Subsequently, I made a decision to honor the custom and ask Maa to make the Bhaja Pithe. All of us ate it along with pleasure, and it introduced us a way of consolation and togetherness. I have to point out, Mehebub was a terrific assist all via.
Poush is the ninth month of the Bengali calendar and it marks the start of the winter season. Paush Utsav is a month-long celebration that begins on the primary day of the month and ends on the final day, Poush Sankranti. It’s a harvest competition celebrated in West Bengal and is often known as the Winter Pageant in Bengal.
Throughout this month, we (Bengalis) make a wide range of conventional treats similar to Pithe, Payesh, and different delights utilizing seasonal Date Palm Jaggery, often known as Patali Gur.
Yearly, we rejoice Makar Sankranti within the month of January. To commemorate this event, folks in West Bengal make sure delicacies, the preferred being varied varieties of Pithe Puli.
On this weblog put up, I’ll share the recipe for the enduring Bhaja Pithe.
Bhaja Pithe aka Moong Daaler Bhaja Puli
Bhaja Pithe, often known as Moong Puli, is an iconic Bengali Pithe. This delectable candy dish is ready with a filling of Coconut and Date Palm Jaggery, often known as Patali Gur, which is encased in a shell made from Yellow Cut up lentil, often known as Moong Dal, and Rice Flour. We use Candy Potato aka Rangaaloo as a binding agent whereas making the dough. It enhances the flavour as properly.
Patali Gur, an essential ingredient
That is then deep fried and served throughout the winter months when Patali Gur is at its greatest. The shell of the candy is gentle and crispy, whereas the filling is good and sticky, making it an ideal winter deal with. The distinction of textures between the shell and the filling makes this dish a singular and particular one.
- Moong Daal
- Candy Potato
- Rice Flour
- Date Palm Jaggery
- Turmeric Powder
- Vegetable Oil
See the recipe card for portions.
At house, we put together the stuffing of bhaja pithe with contemporary coconut and patali Gur. We made this filling after finely grating the coconut till it’s nearly like a paste after which including the jaggery to it. Nevertheless, the filling is barely completely different for Nonta Pithe aka Savory Pitha, the place we use a savory stuffing. It’s then cooked till the combination is dry.
On this weblog put up, I’m sharing photos and particulars concerning the conventional technique of scrapping coconut right here. You may select to observe the normal technique, which includes utilizing a handheld scraper to scrape the coconut, or you may go for a extra handy possibility and use packaged coconut as an alternative. The latter possibility is unquestionably extra time-saving. As soon as the coconut is scraped and the filling is prepared, you should use it to make a wide range of candy and savory pithas, as per your alternative!
That is the normal technique of breaking the coconut.
We now have used a standard coconut scrapper to scrap the coconut.
Making of Stuffing combining coconut and Patali Gur. Test the Recipe card for measurement and time.
Right here! you may see the consistency of the stuffing.
We use unpolished small moong dal, often known as Bengali Sona Moong Dal to make the dough.
In my place, we add candy potato whereas making the dough to make it pliable.
It’s a should to stress prepare dinner the daal with a certain amount of water to make it tender.
We put together this dough with boiled daal, candy potato, and rice flour together with just a few spices. Do examine each the recipe card and recipe video of Moong Pooli I’ve given under to know the feel wanted for making excellent Pithe.
A flattened disk of dough able to be crammed with stuffing.
This image might enable you to to know the method of creating the flattened disk with Daal combination to make pithe.
Right here! look into the form.
We deep-fry Bhaja Pithe. Bhaja, in truth, is stands for fried.
- Candy Potato is non-obligatory whereas making Bhaja Puli; although it really works as a binding agent and offers a stunning taste to the pitha.
- As a substitute of Patali Pur, you should use sugar to make the stuffing with coconut.
- One other variation of Bhaja Pithe is Nonta Pitha (often known as Savory Pitha). The recipe and flavors are utterly completely different, and therefore, I don’t contemplate that as a typical variation however a unique dish altogether.
Tools can play an enormous position in the long run results of a recipe, particularly for conventional recipes. The instruments and utensils used could make a substantial distinction within the style and texture of the dish.
Within the case of this Bengali Bhaja Pithe recipe, now we have used a conventional coconut scrapper to scrap the coconut. That is important to the recipe because it helps to make sure the coconut is the precise consistency and texture. We now have additionally used a stress cooker to boil the lentil. That is an efficient and environment friendly solution to do it and may save time, nevertheless, if you do not have a stress cooker you should use a heavy-bottomed utensil to boil the daal. This may take longer, however it can work. Lastly, for frying, now we have used a standard Lohar Korai (Iron Wok aka Iron Kadhai). This can be a nice solution to fry the components because it ensures that the warmth is evenly distributed and that the meals is cooked via. Utilizing conventional cooking strategies and utensils could make a giant distinction to the ultimate product, so it is essential to concentrate to the tools you might be utilizing.
You may retailer Bhaja Pithe simply for 10 days within the fridge.
Making the proper bhaja pithe requires just a few essential components. A very powerful of those is freshly scraped coconut, which when cooked with the seasonal Patali Gur, makes for a really divine dish. It’s important to make sure that the very best high quality of Moong Daal is used when making ready bhaja pithe. If you’re not a resident of West Bengal, attempt to procure the famend Shona Moong Daal from the market or a Bengali retailer. This may be certain that the ultimate product is nothing in need of perfection. Ultimately, the mix of freshly scraped coconut and Shona Moong Daal cooked with Patali Gur will remodel your bhaja pithe into one thing really particular.
Shona Moong Daal is a kind of yellow break up pea that’s smaller and of higher high quality. It prices greater than a daily yellow break up pea and in Bengali cooking, we use it incessantly. In Delhi, I’ve seen this daal accessible in C R Park. I’m positive in different Indian cities, Shona Moong Daal will probably be accessible in Bengali shops and out of doors of India, you may strive Bengali shops. If not accessible, strive a smaller number of moong dal, ideally the highest quality accessible.
Sure, I do make the coconut and Patali Gur stuffing in bulk. It’s a good way to make several types of pitha in a single go, as this stuffing is utilized in varied sorts of pitha similar to patishapta, gokul pithe, dudh Puli, bhapa pithe, and so forth. Making the stuffing in bulk is a greater thought than making every sort of pitha individually, because it saves effort and time. Moreover, it ensures that the stuffing for every sort of pitha is of the identical consistency and high quality. For instance, if you happen to make the stuffing in bulk, you may measure and blend the components in the identical manner for all sorts of pitha, thus guaranteeing a constant taste and texture. This manner, you may ensure that all of the pitha you make will probably be of the identical high quality.
On the lookout for different Bengali Pithe Puli Recipes? Strive these:
Poush Sankranti Recipes
These are my favourite dishes to serve with [this recipe]:
Bhaja Pithe is a Bengali Pitha made with a filling of coconut and date palm jaggery. The stuffing is encased in a shell made from yellow break up lentils and rice flour. It’s then deep-fried and served throughout the winter months. The shell of the candy is gentle and crispy, whereas the filling is good and sticky, making it an ideal winter deal with.
For the Stuffing
To make the Outer crust
To Fry Bhaja Pithe
- Take two coconuts and after breaking these scrap the coconuts.
- Please observe with 2 coconuts and 350g patali gur you’ll make coconut stuffing in bulk to make round 60 Pithas. To make much less, use one coconut and 175g of Gur as an alternative.
- Take the scrapped coconut to a pan and prepare dinner for two minutes on low flame.
- Now add 350g Patali Gur aka Date Palm Jaggery.
- Combine the Gur with Coconut utilizing a spatula (referred to as Khunti in Bengali!).
- Maintain mixing and prepare dinner for 7-8 minutes on low flame to make a sticky stuffing.
- This stuffing is named “Chhai” in Bengali.
- Swap the flame off.
- Wait until the combination involves room temperature to make use of it additional.
- You can also make the stuffing beforehand and make pitha as and when wanted.
Outer Shell of Bhaja Pitha
- Take away the pores and skin of the Candy Potato and lower it into small items.
- Now warmth a pan and dry-roast the Moong daal on low flame.
- Don’t over-roast the daal. 2 minutes could be ample.
- The moong deal should have a pleasant golden shade after roasting Swap the flame off.
- Stir to keep away from browning.
- Now add water and wash the daal at the very least 3 instances and discard the water.
- Switch washed daal to a stress cooker.
- Now add ½ Tsp. Salt, 1 Tsp. Sugar, and in addition ⅓ Tsp. Turmeric Powder.
- Now add Candy potato chunks.
- Add water to cowl the daal. Don’t add additional water. Please examine the video recipe to know the water degree.
- Put the Lid on together with the vent weight.
- Prepare dinner on low flame until the stress cooker releases stress 3 instances (3 whistles).
- Swap the flame off and open the lid when the stress drops utterly.
- Test the dal. It needs to be correctly cooked with no additional moisture within the cooker by this time.
- Now begin including Rice Flour when the daal is sizzling.
- Begin with 1 Cup and blend Add one other cup of rice flour in between.
- Mash candy potatoes correctly.
- Switch half of the dough to a flat floor.
- Maintain including rice flour and preserve kneading.
- For the complete daal and candy potato, you want round 500g of rice flour.
- The dough needs to be tender, and pliable but easy.
- Maintain it coated with a moist fabric for 10 minutes earlier than making the balls.
- Make small balls (2-inch diameter).
- You may see within the video how easy these balls are.
- Round 50 balls will probably be made with the components now we have used.
- Now take a ball, and flatten it barely to present it the form of a bowl.
- Fill it with 1 Tbsp. Stuffing.
- Seal it and provides it the form of a closed boat.
- You may see within the video that it is extremely simple to seal the pithe.
- Following this course of form the remaining moong pooli.
Frying Bhaja Pooli
- Now warmth round 350ml of Vegetable Oil.
- Test the oil by frying a tiny portion of the dough.
- Relying on the diameter of the kadhai begin frying 4-6 moong seller bhaja pithe at one go.
- Maintain the flame medium.
- Fry pithe until they flip golden in shade.
- Flip in between.
- It’ll take round a minute to fry one batch.
- Pressure moong pithe and fry the following batch.
- Serve Bhaja Pithe sizzling or on the room temperature.
- I want Bashi Pithe extra! This implies I want to maintain the pithe at the very least for in the future after frying after which serve it. This time helps the pithe to season.
- Within the Bhaja Pithe recipe video, now we have proven the normal technique of scrapping coconut. You may for positive use packaged coconut.
- Candy Potato works as a binding agent and offers a delicate candy taste to the outer coating of bhaja pooli.
- As a substitute of a Strain cooker, you should use one other utensil to boil the daal. Utilizing a stress cooker is an efficient and environment friendly solution to do it and may save time. Nevertheless, if you do not have a stress cooker you should use a heavy-bottomed utensil to boil the daal. This may take longer, however it can work.
- In my household, we don’t soak bhaja pithe in sugar syrup any additional. Moongmasali (soaked Bhaja Pithe) is ready individually at ours.
- Prep Time: 30m
- Prepare dinner Time: 30m
- Class: Dessert
- Technique: Cooking
- Delicacies: Bengali
- Serving Dimension: 75g
- Energy: 183
- Sugar: 8.2g
- Sodium: 372mg
- Fats: 7.8g
- Saturated Fats: 5.2g
- Carbohydrates: 24.8g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Protein: 4.2g
- Ldl cholesterol: 0mg
Key phrases: Bhaja Pithe recipe, Bhaja Pooli recipe, debjanir rannaghar, genuine bengali moong daal-er bhaja pitha recipe
Genuine Bengali Bhaja Pithe aka Moong Pooli Recipe Video
Let’s join over conventional Bengali Poush Sankranti particular Pithe Recipe
I’d like to see an image if you’re making the prawns following my recipe. You may share right here at email@example.com. You should utilize my hashtag #debjanirrannaghar and share it via Instagram as properly. and as well as, you may tag me at @foodofdebjani.
Moong Daal-er Bhaja Pithe Recipe Pin for You