In case you are a fan of the well-known stuffed candy flatbread Puran Poli of Maharashtra, then you have to not miss attempting this Bobbatlu Recipe too – the same delicacy from the South Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. Whereas this title is the way it is named in numerous areas of Andhra, additionally it is fashionable because the Obbattu Recipe or Holige Recipe in Karnataka. This scrumptious South Indian model flatbread is full of a candy, cardamom scented filling manufactured from chana dal or tuvar dal. It’s common throughout festivals like Ugadi, Ganesh Chaturthi and Gudi Padwa. Additionally, a favourite Diwali Candy too.
About Bobbatlu Recipe
As I discussed at first, since these yummy candy flatbreads majorly belong to cuisines of Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka, so it’s the Bobbatlu Recipe in Telugu language whereas Obbattu Recipe and Holige Recipe is what is usually referred to in Kannada language. The same variation turns into the Puran Poli of Maharashtrian delicacies.
For the Bobbatlu Recipe, normally all-purpose flour or maida is used to make the outer overlaying. This leads to a thinner flatbread. Though on this Obbattu Recipe, I’ve used half-half of each all-purpose flour and entire wheat flour (atta). Additionally, this Holige Recipe is completely different from this Puran Poli recipe that I’ve shared on my weblog.
Different elements that I add for the dough of the Bobbatlu Recipe are oil or ghee, turmeric powder, salt and water. The turmeric is what imparts a distinguished yellow hue to this Holige Recipe. In case you are not that keen on it, you then can provide it a miss too. However then this Obbattu Recipe received’t be an genuine one.
For the stuffing of this traditional South Indian candy flatbread, I’ve used cut up, husked Bengal gram (chana dal), jaggery, cardamom powder and nutmeg powder. You possibly can even put together the stuffing with cut up, husked pigeon pea lentils (tuvar dal) and provides the nutmeg a miss, in case you don’t have it at house.
Ideas For Excellent Obbattu
Probably the greatest Bobbatlu Recipe is that of my aunt. The primary time she visited use is once I acquired accustomed to her Obbattu Recipe. She had made pretty, decadent flatbreads and her Holige Recipe is what I observe until right this moment.
She had additionally shared her information on the know-how to take advantage of completely delish South Indian candy flatbreads. Listed here are a few of these so that you can refer:
- The dough needs to be kneaded very properly. It ought to be like elastic and gentle.
- For rolling, use finely floor rice flour because it helps in rolling evenly and skinny, with out breaking the flatbreads.
- Some cream of wheat (rava or suji) could be added to the dough.
- The extra oil within the dough, the higher is the feel of the dough.
- Chana dal needs to be cooked properly and floor properly. If there are specks of entire chana dal within the floor stuffing, then the flatbreads can break whereas rolling.
- If the chana dal is slightly below cooked, then the jaggery turns into arduous when the combination is cooked.
- Don’t overcook or brown the flatbreads an excessive amount of, as then they turn out to be dense and arduous.
- In keeping with my aunt, it’s best to have puran yantra. When you would not have puran yantra, then the following most suitable choice is a mixer or grinder. When you make these flatbreads usually, then take into account shopping for a puran yantra.
Like I mentioned earlier, this recipe provides you tastiest flatbreads. Additionally, making ready these typical South Indian flatbreads does take a variety of time. So, do plan and manage your time and actions earlier than making them.
The best way to make Bobbatlu Recipe
1. In a sieve, take 1 cup entire wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour (maida), ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder and ½ teaspoon salt.
2. Sift and hold apart.
3. Add about ⅓ cup water.
4. Knead frivolously. Add water as required whereas kneading.
5. Subsequent, add 5 tablespoons oil and proceed to knead.
6. Knead until all of the oil is absorbed. Principally, you’ll have to knead for about 7 to eight minutes or until all of the oil is absorbed and the dough turns into very gentle and pliable.
Add extra water, if required.
7. The dough ought to be kneaded very properly to get a easy, gentle and elastic texture.
8. Cowl and hold apart. Let the dough relaxation for half-hour. You possibly can unfold some oil all around the dough additionally after which cowl the bowl.
Prepare dinner Lentils
9. Whereas the dough is resting, you can begin with the candy stuffing. Rinse and take 1 cup chana dal (hulled cut up bengal gram) in a 3 litre stovetop strain cooker. Additionally, add 2.5 cups water.
If you need, you’ll be able to even soak chana dal for an hour. You can even use toor dal (arhar dal, pigeon pea lentils) as a substitute of chana dal.
10. Stress prepare dinner on medium warmth for six to 7 whistles.
11. When the strain settles down naturally, open the lid of the cooker and verify if the chana dal is cooked properly.
Take just a few chana dal grains and mash along with your fingers. They need to get mashed simply. Take care because the lentils shall be highly regarded.
12. Pressure the chana dal lentils and allow them to cool or turn out to be heat.
Use the strained water for making Rasam or Katachi Amti. You can even knead chapathi dough with this water or add it to curries or dals.
Mix Stuffing Components
13. Then, add the cooked chana dal in a mixer or grinder jar.
14. Add 1 cup chopped jaggery, ½ teaspoon inexperienced cardamon powder and ¼ teaspoon nutmeg powder.
I’ve used natural jaggery and therefore not dissolved in water after which strained it.
15. Grind or mix to a nice and easy consistency.
In case you are unable to grind, then add 2 to three tablespoons or extra water as wanted. Grind at intervals. Grind, then scrape the jar and grind once more.
Your complete chana dal combination ought to have a easy texture. No entire or half chana dal ought to be seen within the combination.
In any other case whereas rolling, the flatbread will break. Make certain to prepare dinner the chana dal properly.
Prepare dinner Stuffing
16. Warmth 1 tablespoon ghee in a pan.
17. Add the ready chana dal-jaggery combination.
18. On low warmth, stirring repeatedly, prepare dinner the combination until it begins to depart the sides of the pan.
19. Then, flip off the warmth and put aside. Let the stuffing combination calm down.
20. Make medium sized balls from the combination and hold apart. Cowl them in order that they don’t dry out.
Assemble, Stuff and Form
21. Pinch a medium sized ball from the dough. Roll to a neat ball.
22. Gently flatten it along with your fingers. You can even use the rolling pin and flatten it.
23. Place the chana dal stuffing ball within the flattened dough.
24. Then, start to convey the sides collectively.
25. Press the sides on the middle.
26. Then, flatten the middle and gently roll the stuffed dough ball between your palms. To see the strategy of stuffing and sealing, do verify the video embedded above.
27. Stuff the dough balls this fashion and hold lined with a kitchen serviette, in order that they don’t dry out.
28. Place the stuffed dough ball on rolling board and sprinkle some rice flour. As a substitute of rice flour, you may as well use all-purpose flour for this Obbattu Recipe.
29. Gently roll to a big Holige. Add rice flour as required whereas rolling.
Prepare dinner Obbattu
30. Warmth a tawa or flat skillet. Sprinkle some flour on the tawa and it ought to get golden (wipe off this flour). Then, gently place the Obbattu on the tawa.
31. Roast the flatbread until one aspect is golden after which gently flip. If the stuffing and rolling is finished properly, the flatbread will puff up as you see within the picture beneath.
32. Unfold some ghee or oil on this second aspect. You possibly can skip including ghee or oil on this Holige Recipe, in case you favor.
33. Flip once more and roast the second aspect of the flatbread until golden.
34. Unfold some ghee or oil on this prime aspect too that’s dealing with you.
35. Fold and serve Bobbatlu with milk or ghee by the aspect, or have them plain. Or you’ll be able to simply carry and place them in a roti basket, in order that they continue to be heat.
- Be sure you are kneading a gentle, easy and elastic dough for this recipe. You must spend a while kneading the dough very properly. Don’t be in a rush.
- For the stuffing on this recipe, you’ll be able to both use chana dal or tuvar dal (arhar dal). Principally use no matter lentils you favor.
- Drain the water very properly from the cooked lentils. Waterlogged lentils will make the filling combination mushy and moist.
- You possibly can even add some freshly and finely grated coconut within the stuffing.
- Sugar will also be used as a sweetener for the stuffing, as a substitute of jaggery. Different options are palm jaggery and coconut sugar.
- Whereas rolling, you’ll be able to both use rice flour or all-purpose flour.
- To roast these flatbreads, you’ll be able to both use oil or ghee (clarified butter), or simply roast with none fats too.
Extra Festive Candy Recipes To Strive!
Please you should definitely fee the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark beneath in case you have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Signal Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Fb, Pinterest or Twitter.
Bobbatlu Recipe | Obbattu Recipe | Holige Recipe
Bobbatlu additionally referred to as Holige or Obbattu is a South Indian festive deal with of sweetened flat breads. These flat breads are full of cooked and finely floor combination of chana dal, jaggery, cardamom powder and floor nutmeg. This Bobbatlu Recipe makes for the most effective Bobbatlu made with a candy chana dal stuffing.
Prep Time 1 hr
Prepare dinner Time 30 minutes
Complete Time 1 hr 30 minutes
Forestall your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
In a sieve, take the entire wheat flour, all-purpose flour, turmeric powder and salt.
Sift and put aside.
Add about ⅓ cup water and knead frivolously. Do add water as required.
Then add 5 tablespoons oil and proceed to knead.
Knead until all of the oil is absorbed. Principally you’ll have to knead for about 7 to eight minutes until all of the oil is absorbed and the dough turns into very gentle and pliable. Do add extra water if wanted.
The obbattu dough ought to be kneaded very properly to get a easy, gentle and elastic texture.
Cowl and hold apart. Let dough relaxation for half-hour.
Making obbattu stuffing
Rinse just a few occasions in water after which take the chana dal in a 3 litre stovetop strain cooker. If you need you’ll be able to even soak chana dal in water for 1 hour.
Subsequent add 2.5 cups water. Stress prepare dinner for six to 7 whistles on medium warmth.
When the strain drops naturally within the cooker, then solely open the lid of the cooker and verify if the chana dal is cooked properly.
Take just a few lentils and mash it along with your fingers. They need to get mashed simply. Do take care because the lentils shall be highly regarded.
Pressure the chana dal very properly and let the lentils cool or turn out to be heat.
Then add the chana dal in a blender or grinder jar.
Add the chopped jaggery, inexperienced cardamon powder and nutmeg powder or grated nutmeg.
Grind or mix to a easy and nice consistency. In case you are unable to grind, then you’ll be able to add 2 to three tablespoons or extra water. Grind at intervals.
- Grind, then scrape the jar and grind once more. Your complete chana dal combination ought to have a nice and easy texture. No chana dal ought to be seen within the stuffing. In any other case whereas rolling, the obbattu breaks. So do ensure that to prepare dinner the chana dal properly.
Subsequent warmth 1 tablespoon ghee in a pan.
Add the bottom chana dal and jaggery combination.
On a low warmth stirring continuous prepare dinner the combination until it begins to depart the sides of the pan.
Then flip off the warmth and hold apart. Let the stuffing combination calm down.
Make medium sized balls from the combination and put aside. Cowl them in order that they don’t dry out.
Stuffing and rolling obbattu or bobbatlu
Pinch a medium sized ball from the dough. Gently flatten it along with your fingers. You can even use the rolling pin and flatten it.
Place the chana dal stuffing ball within the flattened dough.
Deliver collectively the sides and press them on the middle.
- Then flatten the middle and gently roll the stuffed dough ball between your palms. To see the strategy of stuffing and sealing, do verify the video embedded above on the prime of the web page. Stuff the dough balls this fashion and hold lined with a kitchen serviette, in order that they don’t dry out.
Place the stuffed dough ball on rolling board and sprinkle some rice flour. As a substitute of rice flour you may as well use all goal flour for dusting.
Gently roll to a big obbattu. Add flour as required whereas rolling.
Cooking obbattu or bobbatlu or holige
Warmth a flat skillet or tawa. Sprinkle some flour on the tawa and it ought to get golden (wipe off this flour). Then gently place the obbattu on the tawa.
Roast until one aspect is golden after which flip.
Unfold some ghee or oil on this roasted aspect. You possibly can skip including ghee or oil in case you like.
Flip once more and roast the second aspect until golden.
Unfold some ghee or oil on this second aspect too.
If wanted for even roasting and cooking, you’ll be able to flip just a few occasions.
Fold after which serve obbattu. Or you’ll be able to simply carry them and place them in a roti basket, in order that the obbattu stay heat.
Serve Bobbatlu or Obbattu with milk or ghee by aspect. Or you’ll be able to simply have them as is.
- You should use oil as a substitute of ghee whereas roasting.
- As a substitute of chana dal, you should utilize tuvar dal (arhar dal).
- Some finely grated recent coconut will also be added within the stuffing.
- As a substitute of jaggery you should utilize sugar, palm jaggery (or palm sugar) and coconut sugar.
- Use the lentil strained water for making rasam or soups. You can even knead your roti or chapathi dough with this water or add it to curries or lentil or rice primarily based dishes.
Bobbatlu Recipe | Obbattu Recipe | Holige Recipe
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 320 Energy from Fats 99
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 3g19%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 6g
Ldl cholesterol 12mg4%
Vitamin A 1IU0%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 1mg1%
Vitamin E 2mg13%
Vitamin Okay 1µg1%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 28µg7%
* % Every day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie weight loss program.
This Bobbatlu recipe from the archives first revealed in March 2017 has been up to date and republished on March 2023.